Stephen Laycock & Co Solicitors

Telephone 0113 224 2841 for help and advice

Eligibility to Make a Claim Under the Inheritance Act 1975

Back to news

The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 enables certain persons to challenge a will, or the rules of intestacy if the deceased person did not leave a will or a valid will.

The types of person who may make a claim in accordance with the 1975 Act are:

  1. The spouse or civil partner of the deceased;
  2. A former spouse or former civil partner of the deceased (but not if they have formed a subsequent marriage or civil partnership;)
  3. Any person who had been cohabiting with the deceased for at least 2 years before they died;
  4. A child of the deceased;
  5. Any person who was treated by the deceased as a child of the family;
  6. Any person who was being maintained by the deceased.

If a person does not fall into one of the above categories then they will not be able to make an application under the 1975 Act for a financial award from the deceased person’s estate.

Enquiry form

Related articles

Wills & Probate

Excluding Someone From Your Will

The only way to be sure that your wishes will be carried out when you are no longer alive is to make a will. However, the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants} Act 1975 makes it possible for certain people to challenge the inheritance that they have received after you have died. If the court


Wills & Probate

Challenging a Will

The reasons for challenging the validity of a will are: The person making the will did not have testamentary capacity at the time that the will was made; The person making the will did not intend that the document (the will) would be their last will; The person making the will did not understand and


Wills & Probate

The Rules of Intestacy

If a person dies without leaving a will, or a valid will, then they are described as having died intestate. The Inheritance and Trustees’ Powers Act 2014 provides the following rules: If the person has children or grandchildren then the spouse or civil partner takes: all of the personal chattels (furniture, cars, jewellery, etc but


Enquiry form


This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. These cookies are set when you submit a form or interact with the site by doing something that goes beyond clicking some simple links. We also use some non-essential cookies to anonymously track visitors or enhance your experience of the site.

You can read more information about why we do this, and what they are used for here.

Accept Decline